A Valentine Day Fiasco Chapter 8– Poor Cynthia.


Amanda’s thanksgiving service ended and Cynthia couldn’t wait to get home. Immediately after the pastor’s prayer’s she hurried to Amanda’s side to congratulate her, made arrangements for them to meet up and talk better later and she snuck out before her mother would make her stay behind for the family dinner. She didn’t want to stay one more minute with those obnoxious people. All through the service they had been looking at her with pity. Most of them knew about her broken engagement to Phil all thanks to her mother’s big mouth. She just wanted to get away from the stares. She got into her car and zoomed off. She didn’t want to go home. The house was empty and she wasn’t in a good mood to be at home alone. Then she remembered Rachel. She parked her car by the road and brought out her phone to call her. At the third ring Rachel picked up.
“Hey Cynthia. What’s up?”
“I am just okay. What about you?” Cynthia replied
“I am good too. Are you sure you are okay? You sound a little sad.”
“Did anything happen?” Rachel continued
“No. nothing really. I went for Amanda’s thanksgiving service”
“Did her annoying siblings do anything?” Rachel asked
“No. I made sure I didn’t cross paths with them”
“Good. If they did I would have come over there to snap each of them in half.”
Cynthia chuckled at that. It was just like Rachel to want to snap a person she had a problem into two.
“Anyways you still haven’t told me what’s bothering you. Do not tell me nothing. I can feel it in your voice. ” Rachel continued
“Okay fine. I was at the thanksgiving service and all those other family members were giving me the ‘eyah, poor girl’ look, you know because of my broken engagement and it just reminded me how sad my life was. I have this great job I love, live in a relatively comfortable apartment, drive a cool car yet I couldn’t keep my man. Isn’t that pitiful? Can I come over? Is Bobo there with you?”
“No don’t say that Cynthia” Rachel pleaded. Cynthia sniffled.
“You know you are welcome anytime and No bobo is not with me. I’ll be waiting for you.” She concluded
“Alright. Thanks. Should I bring anything along when I was coming?” Cynthia asked.
“No. just bring yourself along. I’ll be waiting.” She said.
At that Cynthia ended the call and started the call and headed to Rachel’s house. She was relieved she wouldn’t go home to an empty house. She started her car and headed straight to Rachel’s house. It was a relatively long ride but it was going to be worth it. After navigating through some traffic, she got to Rachel’s house. She picked up her call to call Rachel. On the first ring, Rachel picked up. “Hold on. I am coming.” She said and hung up. She opened up the gate and Cynthia drove in. Cynthia silently prayed Rachel would not say anything about the event of the day else she would have broken down right there and then. Thankfully, Rachel didn’t. She just lead her into the house not that she needed directions, she knew this house like the back of her hands. It just felt good walking with her best friend. There were no words said but it wasn’t awkward. Together, they walked into the house and Cynthia sat down.
“So there’s this really funny movie I saw with bobo.” Rachel began while she took her beside Cynthia. Cynthia turned to look at her.
“It was so funny that I wanted to see it again so I rented on it on Box Office before you got here. Why don’t we are watch it? It’d get you out of this mood you’re in. It’s beginning to rub off on me sef. You know my crib ain’t no place for gloom. It’s always filled with sugar, spice and everything nice.” Cynthia smiled at that. She was about to speak when Rachel excitedly screamed.
“Aha! I have some ice-cream in my freezer and a bag of popcorn somewhere in my pantry. I will go place the popcorn in the microwave. So that we can watch the movie while eating the popcorn. So start the movie. I’ll be back.”

Cynthia sighed. She walked to the TV, switched it on and picked the remote from its stand and went back to her seat. She was able to start the movie and she was beginning to like it from the first few scenes she saw. She was already smiling. Then, she heard footsteps. She had been so engrossed in the movie that she barely took note of what was happening. When she turned back, she saw Rachel coming with a very large bowl of popcorn. A tub of ice cream was already on the stool beside her. Rachel came to join her on the couch with the large bowl of popcorn and they continued the movie together.

Click to read Chapter 9.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Remy, 'Another One'? Oh no, you shouldn't have.

BBNaija - The Kemen Incident and My Take on it.

#AMVCA2017 - Ama Writes favorites from the red carpet.